Rincon de la Vieja
Rincon de la Vieja
Rincón de la Vieja is an active volcano in north-western Costa Rica, about 25 km from Liberia, in the province of Guanacaste. Its name means “The Old Woman’s Nook”, a reference to a local legend about a girl whose lover was thrown into the crater by her father; she became a recluse living on the mountain, and was credited with powers of healing.
The park has a variety of wildlife, such as over 300 species of birds, such as the three-wattled bellbird and emerald toucanet, and also various quetzals, curassows, eagles, etc. Mammals seen in the park include cougars, monkeys, kinkajous, jaguars and many more.
This park has a number of adventuresome tours and activities, and is relatively close to the Flamingo area.
Rincon de la Vieja Adventure Tour
• 6.15am – Pick up
• 8.30am – Horseback Riding, Canopy Tour
• 1-2pm – Lunch
• 2-3.30pm – Hot springs
• 6pm – Back at the Hotel
Rincon de la Vieja Wellness Tour
The perfect compromise between adventure and relaxation, this upscale tour includes horseback riding and a canopy tour, and returns to a full service spa.
• Tizate Signature Treatment- Deep relaxation massage with soft exfoliation from Rio Tizate thermal springs waters. 1 hour
• Deep Tissue treatment-Deep relaxation massage of soft stretch articulates movements. 1 hour
• River Stone Massage- Really great after Canopy Tour. Deep relaxation massage using stones from Tizate´s River. 1 hour
• La Finca Wrap- Wrapping with plantain leaves and then a massage with oil and cream. 1 hour
• Pacific Scrub- With mineral salts and local citrics. Massage and Exfoliation with salts and refreshing citrics cream. 1 hour
• Hands and Foot Treatment- Hand-foot massage and exfoliation with local citrics (Pineapple, Papaya and Orange). 1 hour
(All the treatments applied are prepared with natural ingredients to give your body a unique experience with fruits and aromas of our area.)
Also included is a world- class gourmet lunch made from ingredients produced right there on their eco- friendly farm, including fresh Tilapia raised just a few hundred meters away.
There is rafting available on the nearby Rio Colorado– check it out on our rafting page.
There is simply more to do in the area than can be accomplished in one day- in addition to the tours above there’s a waterslide, reptile and amphibian zoo, hanging bridge hike, 3 waterfall hike, a butterfly farm, not to mention the park itself with an extensive trail system, three volcanic peaks, mud baths, waterfalls, swimming holes… you might need a couple of days!
There are several options for lodging here, Contact us for current prices.